Flight Review: China Airlines flights CI 702 and CI 130

Lavender - China Airlines' signature color.
I used to get discouraged from traveling to certain destinations by the lack of direct flights. I found it time-consuming and unnecessary. But now that I had to go to Sapporo (where there isn't a direct flight from Manila), I was ecstatic about having the option of choosing from so many cities as stopovers! I guess it really is all about perspective. When I was searching for flights, China Airlines (with a stopover in Taipei) came up as one of the cheapest options. 

NOTE: Since most people get confused by this 
CHINA AIRLINES 
- [alliance: Skyteam] 
- is a Republic of China (ROC) aka TAIWAN airline 
- which flies to Taipei from Manila.
AIR CHINA 
- [alliance: Star Alliance] 
- is a PEOPLE'S Republic of China (PRC) aka CHINA airline 
- which flies to Beijing from Manila.

There were others available for a similar price but I could not choose them because they were with two different airlines (and others connecting in different airports even, as in Haneda and Narita). I did of course consider taking budget airlines and (thankfully) I didn't have to. For one, the price when baggage was included would be the same price as legacy carriers (sans the refreshments, entertainment, legroom and miles). In addition, I would have a problem with my luggage. 

I had to take one airline so that my heavy check-in luggage could be tagged from Manila all the way to Sapporo, without having to retrieve it at my stopover airport, where I planned to spend a day exploring the city during my stopover. So China Airlines was simply the most practical choice! 

FLIGHT CI 702 MANILA-TAIPEI

On CI702, the meal was completely inedible. I gave feedback to the airline to consider changing their supplier. The rest of my review is written below as photo captions.

The Mahjong game was a pleasant surprise. Unfortunately, what was under the gold foil wasn't.


It tastes exactly how it looks - pretty gross. I didn't finish it.

I won! It's called a "zi mo" (drawing the winning tile as opposed to taking a discarded one from a player)

Couldn't keep track of my wins (or losses)

The rear of the aircraft had a camera that showed what we were flying over. Pretty cool!


I asked for a complimentary pen and poker cards as souvenirs together with the in-flight magazine, which was impressive in all three languages (Chinese, English, Japanese.)
Apparently, some entertainment systems weren't working. But cash vouchers were available for everyone on our plane to claim! Not everyone did though. 

FLIGHT CI 130 TAIPEI-SAPPORO

After a fun night in Taoyuan, it was time to go back to the airport and board another plane (but not before making a trip to the airport lounge which has earned me a reputation for always being the last to board, much to the ground crew's exasperation.)

On CI130, someone was in my seat 40H and I agreed to be reseated to 38I. However, there was a mistake and I received a vegetarian meal which was supposed to be served to someone part of a group so I ended up not eating on board again.

When I received my check-in luggage at CTS (Sapporo) airport, it was tied with some rope because it was damaged and had opened. I do not think that the zippers and padlock can be easily removed so I believe my luggage was mishandled. :/


As one of the last people to board (pretty used to it by now), someone took my seat and I was seated near the bathroom and exit row (aka lots of looking away as to not make eye contact with the FAs.)

By this time, I realized I was really unlucky with airplane food on this airline. I couldn't understand what I was served, but I knew it was some kind of tofu dish. Later I found out that it was a vegetarian meal meant for someone from a group. I hate vegetables. Upon landing, the FAs were sincerely apologetic but it didn't really matter at that point.

The big finale: receiving my luggage in this condition. Lock removed, zippers gone, tied with rope and tape although nothing was stolen. Afterward, my luggage and I also received some heaving petting patting down from the customs officials, being the only one with a different citizenship traveling into Japan from Taiwan. I suppose they had reason to be suspicious.
I am still awaiting further feedback from the airline.

Despite getting a great deal on my flights, I still feel like I didn't get my money's worth with all that had happened. Overall Rating: 2/5.

Comments

  1. Cheap China Airlines Fight Tickets USA- China is a fast growing economy in the world. China Airlines is the flag carrier and largest airline of the Republic of China. Headquarter of the airlines is in Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport and has 11,154 regular employees right now. We offer cheap and best online flights booking at very cheap price. You can book online at flightforsure.com.

    ReplyDelete
  2. China Airlines International Flights Booking USA- Whether it is a short flight or a long flight, this airline never compromises on services; on ground as well as in the air. For example, you may avail of China Airlines online check-in for all of their flights ticket reservation. You can fly with this airline in First, Business and Economy classes. The First class defines luxury and opulence in each way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts